The objectives of the Board as contained in Section 4 of the Tourist Board Act include:
- To adopt all such measures as it may consider necessary to advertise and publicise Tanzania as a popular tourist destination;
- To encourage by such measures as it may deem fit for the development of such amenities in Tanzania as it may enhance the attractiveness of Tanzania to tourists;
- To undertake research, experiments and operations as may appear to be necessary to improve the basis of the tourist industry;
- To foster an understanding within Tanzania of the importance and economic benefits of the tourist industry; and
- To make all such inquiries and collect all such information as it may deem necessary for the purpose of carrying out its functions.